Monday, July 5, 2010

Dante's Journey & J.C. Marino


Dante's Journey, by J.C. Marino
Trade Paperback: 366 pages
Publisher: Star Publish, ©2010
ISBN: 978-1-935188-09-4
Copy: provided by author

I finished Marino's book some time ago, but since it was the prototype test subject for the 'Round Table' feature at Speculative Book Review, I've waited until now to put anything down here about it. To see how I weighed in on the story, follow the prototype test subject link.

I liked the story well enough, but from what I have run into in our first 'Round Table' exercise at SBR, I would say that most will like it more than I did. Also, the author is a particularly decent fellow and a pleasure to interact with. In fact, there was a subsequent interview with Marino at SBR, thanks to Tyson.

While I would rate Dante's Journey as "Recommended", I would also call Marino an author to keep an eye on with future books.

An aside: It's been some time since I've been able to swing through the internet, and this stop is the exception rather than the rule. Work life has made of itself a larger priority that it, perhaps, ought to be. I hope to rectify the matter sooner, rather than later.

In the meantime, my rate of reading has been suffering as well. Other than Marino's work, I have also read Return of the Crimson Guard, by Ian C. Esslemont; Rhone by John Karr; Field of Fire, by Jon Connington; The Left Hand of God, by Paul Hoffman; 242 of 368 pages of The Last Princess and the Cup of Immortality, by D.R. Whitney (D.N.F. - a once every dozen years rarity for me) and Devices and Desires, by K.J. Parker. I will have something to post for some of these books here, but a little something to post for all of them over at SBR.

I was struck soundly enough by Parker's Devices and Desires to immediately pick up the second book of the Engineer's trilogy, Evil for Evil.

0 comments:

Post a Comment