Wednesday, April 7, 2010

More Williams


Read The Burning Man last weekend. It is a short story by Tad Williams in the Legends anthology (Tor, ©1998, edited by Silverberg). It is a tragic tale told by an elderly woman reminiscing over a pivotal event from her life.

In light of recently finishing Shadowrise, it was very interesting to go back and read something that was new to me, but from the author's past. I would say that I detect a difference, within the story, from more recent Williams fare, but wonder if that's only because I know there is a separation of, roughly, a decade.

Regardless, that story alone made the anthology well worth the purchase, even though I originally purchased it to read through everything I could find regarding Silverberg's Majipoor series.

4 comments:

Graeme Flory said...

I bought a copy of that anthology, purely for that story. It was worth every penny :o)

PeterWilliam said...

Agreed. It was a perfect sized evening read.

Seak (Bryce L.) said...

I bought it for the Hedge Knight...but was really excited to see Tad Williams. Would this be a good intro into Williams' works, or should I go Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn which I've still yet to read (but it's been moving up the To Read pile really fast).

PeterWilliam said...

Actually, it would be a good place to start with Williams. It's a story that takes place very peripherally to any of the events within Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Post a Comment