Sunday, March 14, 2010

Go Cats, Go!


Hey, just because I currently live in Kentucky doesn't mean I'm cheering for those Cats. No, no, no, my friends. I'm cheering for my Cats - The University of Vermont Catamounts, Champions of the America East Conference. For the first time since 2005 we're back in the NCAA men's basketball tournament. It'll be great to see how they fare.

Otherwise, I have, this very evening, finally finished Tad Williams' Shadowrise. In case you did not know it, I am a Williams fan and have been since removing a shiny new HC copy of The Dragonbone Chair from a shelf in Waldenbooks to purchase in '90. His work has the gravity of something ancient and relevant. His stories are nothing short of masterful. Williams' works are not chockfull of the mile-a-minute blood, gore, magic and chaotic mayhem that many works of the genre are, and have to be to pick up readers, who praise such works by word of mouth through their D&D circles (no RPGers were harmed in the making of this post). They don't need to be. Williams' works are something for a mantlepiece, kept well beyond the reach of the grasping, grubby fingers of the mildly curious.

More on Shadowrise (i.e. review) and Williams soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment