Monday, November 30, 2009

Excuses

Not much posting taking place around here lately. I have several excuses and self-justifications. Seriously. Well, not really.

In reading, I'm a good way into book 2 of the Gene Wolfe omnibus, Severian of the Guild. Thus far, I'm enjoying the read very much. The perspective, Severian's, is a great vantage point for this tale. That having been said, I don't think I like the 'undependable narrator.' It reminds me a great deal of a movie I saw years ago. Back in 1990, I was stationed on a US Army base in San Antonio, TX (Fort Sam Houston). We went to see a movie, on base, called Jacob's Ladder. Very discombobulating and tension inducing. I get that same sense of feverish hallucination while reading this story. How I can like it and not like it at the same time isn't something I can explain - it just is. We'll see if I can articulate the sensation any better once I've finished the book.

Ok, excuse time. I'm trying to be more conscientious about writing. I've spent months and months of not putting butt to chair. It's time to get cracking. I don't plan to post any less. In fact, this should have me more in the rhythym to write and bring lucid (ok, semi-lucid) thoughts here. I'm going over my chapter one, again, even though chapter two is half-born and begging to be tied off. Chapter two has gone over-long and may have to be chapters 2, 3 and 4. I'll bring chapter one by here, eventually. First, after I clean it up, I need to find a writing partner, or an online 'workshop' where I can get this read and receive some feedback. So, what's in this excuse to slow down posting, you ask? Excellent, and insightful, question. I've been rearranging the Man-Cave. I've gone back to find some reference works that had been languishing in a cardboard box for quite some time. This weekend, I found the reference works, some old scribbled notes and some writings that I'd nearly forgotten about. Now that I've found the missing items my subconscious was niggling away at, it's time to get down to it.

Cross your fingers. I may have an interview for Sunday Night Spotlight coming up soon. The questions are away and I am now awaiting the response. Who is it? At this time of year, such spoilers would be a big no-no, so you'll just have to wait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment