Monday, August 3, 2009

Rai-kirah finale

Finishing this series is somewhat bittersweet. I will truly miss the characters. In another sense, I definitely need a break from them. This series has, in it’s own way, worn me out. The Rai-kirah series takes it’s reader and drags them up and down the range of human emotion.


The Bad: Hard to say. I wouldn’t call it bad, but I will leave advance warning for those considering reading this book/series. That warning being an ending that some may classify as the “happy ending.” Some fantasy fiction readers loathe anything approaching the happy ending. I could care less what type of ending the author uses, as long as it is well done.

The Good: The ending was done well. It isn’t apple pie in the sweet by-and-by, but neither is it dominated by grim stoicism, tragedy or sorrow. It’s a mix of acceptable situations and prices paid; like real life. Revelation, in a complete and thorough sense, brings the Rai-kirah series full circle. The multiplicity of characters and entities that, concurrently, come full circle might seem a bit too symmetrical, but since I am attracted to symmetry and order like a moth to flame, I had no problem with it at all.

The story of Seyonne in the book is dominated by the gravest of self-doubt. Seyonne, with good reason, comes to fear himself, his capabilities and his increasing lack of empathy. Seyonne comes to anticipate, and fear, his transformation in a whimsical and capricious god-like figure, trampling upon all that he once valued. Indeed, he comes very close. Fearfully close.

This conclusion to the Rai-kirah series has utterly sold me on Carol Berg and I will be purchasing her fantasy fiction in the future. It would take a work of unrivalled wretchedness to dislodge me from reading Berg now.

Next up: Dawnthief of the Raven series, by James Barclay.

0 comments:

Post a Comment