Friday, May 22, 2009

Slow going

Man, the book I'm reading is slow going. That's not a criticism, it's just huge and the process of assimilation has taken me a little while.


Just jumping into sci-fi, by Peter Hamilton no less, was probably going to be a little more time intensive that previously anticipated.

While obviously sci-fi (space opera to be specific), I detect a dash of horror involved as well. While I am currently only 400p into book one, I think that I have, perhaps, finally absorbed enough of the story's layout to proceed.

It seems as though there are several disparate elements drawing together to converge at a common locus. I enjoy that; it seems ordered and symmetrical to me. The characters however, seem fairly similar. I observe two main categories of characters: actors and hopeless. One group drives the storyline, is beautiful and is having sex every six hours or so. The other has the storyline riding right over the top of them and bears some kind of burden they can't process which makes them, well, hopeless. We'll see how it progresses.

Incidentally, I would have really enjoyed Quinn Dexter and all of his merry little Ivets getting the Tony Montana treatment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment